Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link Project has been one of the most highly recommended project of all the transport studies done for the metropolitan region. Previously, Mahim Causeway was the only link connecting the western suburbs with the island city of Mumbai. Therefore this existing North - South traffic corridor was very congested and during the peak hours results in a bottleneck at Mahim Causeway.
Construction of this link provide an additional fast moving outlet from the island city to the western suburbs & vice versa thereby providing much needed relief to the congested Mahim Causeway. This link also form a part of the western freeway.
- The new link is an eight - lane facility for the exclusive use of fast moving vehicles with limited access (only four wheelers and above). 2 lanes are proposed to be reserved for buses.
- Considerable savings in travel time due to increased speed and reduced delays at intersections.
- Modern toll plaza of 16 lanes with automated toll collection system.
- The link is developed as a "Intelligent Bridge" with a "State - of - the - art" system for system monitoring, surveillance, information guidance and emergency support.
- Main Cable StayedBridge of 500 m main span over Bandra Channel and second Cable stayed bridge of main span 150m over Worli Channel
- Development of promenade and landscaping to enhance the environment.
- A minimum clearance of 20 meters is provided below the main spans for marine traffic.
- State - of - the - art technology is used for construction.
- Emergency crossovers and Disaster Management Program.
PROJECT BENEFITS / OTHER FEATURES
- Estimated savings in Vehicle Operating Costs (VOC): Rs. 100 Crores per annum.
- Considerable savings in travel time (20 to 30 minutes) due to increased speed and reduced delays (23 signals avoided).
- Stress free driving.
- Reduced accidents.
- Reduction in traffic on existing roads because of traffic diversion to the Sea Link.
- Reduction in Carbon Monoxide and Nitrogen Oxide Levels in Mahim, Dadar, Prabhadevi and Worli along existing roads.
- Reduced noise pollution in Mahim, Dadar, Prabhadevi and Worli along existing roads.
- No adverse effect on fisheries, marine life and livelihood of fisherman.
- Landscaping along the approaches and waterfront promenade enhance the environment and add green spots to the city.
- Mumbai gets a new landmark.